To view our full submission guidelines please visit boydsmillspress.com.
Boyds Mills Press, Calkins Creek, WordSong
Please note: Boyds Mills Press, Calkins Creek, and WordSong publish books for children, tweens, and teens that focus on excellent storytelling, imaginative illustration, and strong characters. Our exceptionally crafted titles are designed to entertain, inform, and engage children of all ages. Please review our online catalog to see the types of books that we publish before submitting your work.
Boyds Mills Press, the trade book division of Highlights for Children, publishes a wide range of high-quality titles for young readers—fiction and nonfiction picture books, middle grade and young teen fiction, and nonfiction novels.
Calkins Creek publishes both nonfiction and historical fiction picture books and novels that introduce children to the many people, places, and events that have shaped US history. Calkins Creek titles present multiple points of view through original and extensive research, and each innovative and skillfully written book uses primary sources, such as timelines, bibliographies, historical notes, and glossaries.
WordSong is the only children’s imprint in the United States specifically dedicated to poetry. WordSong titles, both picture books and novels in verse, capture the vibrant, unexpected, and emotional connections between poetry of all types and young readers.
- Please upload only one manuscript per submission. We welcome multiple submissions, but we prefer that each one is submitted separately.
- We encourage you to review our online catalog before submitting work.
- We do not consider previously published material.
- We do not consider submissions from anyone under the age of sixteen.
Picture Books: We accept submissions from both authors and illustrators. If you are an author and an illustrator, please submit the complete manuscript and a sample reproduction of the final artwork that reflects the intended style and technique. Keep in mind that one well-presented submission will be more attractive than several submissions or a submission in many parts. You do not need to send a query first.
Middle Grade and Young Teen Fiction: Please submit the first three chapters and a plot summary. We will request the balance of the manuscript if we are interested.
Nonfiction: Include a detailed bibliography with your submission. We highly recommend including an expert's review of your manuscript with a detailed explanation of the books in the marketplace that are similar to the one you propose. Keep in mind that good children's nonfiction has a narrative quality—a story line—that encyclopedias do not; please consider whether both the subject and the language will appeal to children.
Please note: Highlights magazine is not holding a fiction contest in 2018. Any manuscripts we receive for that purpose will be reviewed as regular submissions to Highlights. Thanks for your interest in writing for us!
We do not accept work through Submittable (or through e-mail) from writers younger than 16. Young writers and artists may send their work to: Highlights for Children, 803 Church Street, Honesdale, PA 18431.
Highlights is a general-interest magazine for children ages 6-12. By publishing stories, puzzles, articles, and activities that are fun and engaging (and secretly purposeful!), we aim to inspire kids to be their best selves - creative, curious, caring, and confident. Highlights was founded in 1946 by Dr. Garry Cleveland Myers and Caroline Clark Myers, and is still owned and run by their family. The magazine accepts no outside advertising and has no religious or organizational affiliation.
Highlights has a circulation of about 1.2 million and is published monthly.
- Please upload only one manuscript per submission. We welcome multiple submissions, but we prefer that each be submitted separately. Please include your name as you would like it to appear in your byline.
- We encourage writers to read several recent copies of Highlights before submitting work. Writers can also visit HighlightsKids.com to see examples of previously published content.
- We pay on acceptance, and we buy all rights, including copyright. We do not consider previously published material.
- We accept material at any time of the year, including seasonal material.
- For submissions that require research, please include references and correspondence with experts.
- Please submit each manuscript only once, to the most appropriate Highlights magazine, keeping in mind the different age ranges. The editors work together closely and will share a manuscript if they feel it's better suited to a different magazine.
- Please note that after declining a submission, we delete your manuscript file. In this way, you can be assured that we are not keeping or storing creative work that we have not purchased.
Fiction should have an engaging plot, strong characterization, a specific setting, and lively language.
- Stories for beginning readers should have fewer than 475 words and should not seem babyish to older readers.
- Stories for independent readers should have fewer than 750 words and should be appealing to younger readers if read aloud.
- Rebus stories should have fewer than 100 words and feature a variety of familiar words that can easily be shown as pictures.
- We accept all genres appropriate for young readers (no romance, crime, or violence).
- Payment: $175 and up.
Verse is purchased sparingly at the moment. However, if you'd like to submit poetry, it should be appealing to kids and no longer than about 16 lines. We look for poetry of all genres and types, but we are currently most in need of non-rhyming verse, humorous poems, and holiday-themed poems. We are buying very little nature-themed poetry at this time. Payment: $40 and up.
Nonfiction can include science, arts, sports, how-to's, world cultures, history, What a Pro Knows articles, and Gallant Kids articles.
- Articles for beginning readers should have fewer than 400 words.
- Articles for independent readers should have fewer than 750 words.
- Articles with a tight focus are most successful. We prefer research based on firsthand experience, consultation with experts, or primary sources.
- Articles about cultural traditions and ways of life should reflect a deep understanding of the subject.
- We prefer biographies that are rich in quotes and anecdotes and that place the subject in a historical or cultural context.
- Digital images should be no less than 300 dpi.
- Payment: $175 and up.
Crafts can include gifts, toys, games, and decorations. They should appeal to boys and girls.
- Crafts should have concise, numbered directions, up to 5 steps.
- Please submit step-by-step photos of a well-made sample of the craft.
- Craft materials should be inexpensive and easy to obtain.
- Crafts that celebrate holidays, cultures, or religious traditions are welcome.
- Payment: $40 and up.
Puzzles should not require readers to write in the magazine (no crosswords or word searches). Our current needs include math puzzles, code activities, and visual puzzles. Word puzzles and logic puzzles are purchased more sparingly at the moment. Puzzle instructions should be concise, but playful themes and language are welcome. For visual puzzles, please include puzzle instructions and art suggestions. Payment: $40 and up.
Cartoons should be fresh, original, and geared to kids. They can
be single-panel or multiple-panel, black-and-white or full-color,
with or without a caption, and with either human or animal characters.
Payment: $40 and up for black-and-white, $50 and up for full-color.
For more tips and information of interest to writers, visit www.HighlightsFoundation.org.
*Update 2/15/2018: High Five is currently closed for submissions from February 15 through May 15, 2018. Any submissions received during this time will be declined, but you are welcome to submit them later. High Five submissions in process by February 15 will receive a decision during the closed period.
High Five stories, poems, crafts, recipes, and nonfiction activities should support the social and emotional development of children ages 2-6. We are looking for stories and poems that can be read aloud to our youngest readers, and can also be read alone by our older, beginning readers. Rhyme, repetition and patterned texts are particularly welcome.
Stories should be 170 words or less. The topics should be age-appropriate, with settings, characters, and plots that will be familiar to young children. Remember that illustrations can provide many descriptive details, giving you room in the text for dialogue and at least four or more scenes.
Crafts, recipes, and nonfiction activities should be designed so that most children can do all the steps with limited help from an adult. Materials or ingredients should be easy to find.
Please upload only one manuscript per submission. On the first page of each manuscript, please include your name as you would like it to appear in your byline. We welcome multiple works, but each one needs to be submitted separately. We do not accept previously published works or simultaneous submissions.
Please submit each manuscript only once, to the most appropriate Highlights magazine, keeping in mind the different age ranges. The editors work together closely and will share a manuscript if they feel it's better suited to a different magazine.
Please note that after declining a submission, we delete your manuscript file. In this way, you can be assured that we are not keeping or storing creative work that we have not purchased.
Please note: We do not accept work through Submittable (or through e-mail) from writers younger than 16. Learn more about the Highlights guidelines for young writers and artists at: https://www.highlightskids.com/send-us-your-creative-work
Highlights Hello is a magazine for loving adults to share with infants and toddlers ages 0-2. The majority of our subscribers are ages 1-2. Texts must be developmentally appropriate for the child yet fun for the read-aloud adult as well. We love simple humor, wordplay, or a gentle surprise on a level the toddler can grasp.
Hello manuscripts occasionally go up to 50 words, but we strongly prefer shorter texts for our very young audience. We like to average about 2 to 3 short lines of text per page.
Issue contents have been tentatively assigned through 2018. We have not yet set issue themes for 2019 but we are still accepting a limited number of manuscripts that we find irresistible.
We accept only text through Submittable. Please do NOT send art samples.
Please note that if we decline a submission, we delete your manuscript file. You can be assured that we never keep copies of creative work that we have not purchased.
Moratorium on Highlights Hidden Pictures® Submissions
Thank you to everyone who has contributed Hidden Pictures puzzles to Highlights through Submittable. Because of your great work, we now have enough Hidden Pictures puzzles in our files to fill all our currently planned projects.
Therefore, for the time being, we are placing a moratorium on new submissions. We are still in the process of reviewing all submissions sent prior to the moratorium, and we appreciate your patience as we continue to respond to these submissions.
Thank you again for your interest in Highlights and in our Hidden Pictures puzzles. When we open submissions again, we will place a notice here.
The Highlights Hidden Pictures Team